Ten Reasons You Should Visit Leicester
With the longest-running comedy festival in Europe and as the birthplace of tourism, here’s 10 reasons why you should visit Leicester.
1. Leicester City FC were crowned Premier League champions (2015-16).
2. Hosts annual Pride Parade (Leicester Pride).
3. Leicester hosts Caribbean Carnival which is the largest in the UK outside of London!
4. The city hosts the longest-running comedy festival in Europe, Leicester Comedy Festival.
5. Hometown of national treasures Sir David and Lord Richard Attenborough who lived on the campus of University College Leicester. Rumour has it Sir David would sell newts to the zoology department for 3p each!
6. Leicester is the hometown of fashion guru Gok Wan who was born Ko-Hen Wan and grew up in Whetstone, Leicestershire.
7. Hometown of Lady Jane Grey (Queen of England for 9 days in 1553) who was born at Bradgate Park, Leicestershire.
8. Although born in Derbyshire, in 1841, Thomas Cook invented tourism and the package holiday when he arranged for a party to travel from Leicester to Liverpool.
9. Birthplace of Walkers Crisps (1948) and the Walkers site in Leicester is the largest crisp producer in the world.
10. Where ‘extreme ironing’ was founded in the 1990s. Also known as EI, the extreme sport and performing art involves partakers taking ironing boards to remote locations to iron items of clothing.
11. Home to rock band Kasabian who formed in 1997.