Travelling through Birmingham Airport this summer?
With the summer getaway almost upon us, Birmingham Airport want to make sure you’ve planned your journey in advance so you can have a smooth and stress-free experience. There may have been a few changes that you’ll notice at the airport since you last travelled through.
There’s a new security entrance with e-gates to keep passengers flowing through the security search area as efficiently as possible. It is still located on the first floor, opposite Frankie & Benny’s, but with some new entrance signage, should be even easier to find! There have also been some new shops and restaurant openings this spring – there is now a fancy Kurt Geiger store located in the departure lounge as well as a new Bottega prosecco bar and Factory Bar & Kitchen, offering an array of British classic dishes, alongside local Birmingham favourites.
Travelling through the airport with young children can be stressful. Instead of being excited for your holiday, you find yourself focused on keeping the kids in check. To make sure your journey through Birmingham Airport as a family is as seamless as can be, we recommend arriving early – you won’t be rushed to find your carpark spot, you’ll have plenty of time to get the kids through security and you can make the most of the facilities in the departure lounge. Park in Car Parks 1, 2 and 3, all located just a two-minute walk from the terminal building, making it convenient to transport your toddlers. Valet parking is a great option if you also have a lot of luggage. Most of the restaurants at the airport have special children’s menus – Giraffe’s kid’s menu offers food from all around the world, while Frankie & Benny’s is a family favourite serving American diner classics.
Top tips for family travellers
- Prepare for security – Everyone needs to be scanned going through Security, so walking children need to go through the Archway Metal Detector (AMD) individually. Pushchairs must also be pushed though the AMD so there’s no need to collapse your buggy. Simply remove any bags and put them through the scanner separately.
- Taking baby milk through security – Baby milk and baby food can be taken in hand luggage through Security, but do make the security officer aware you are carrying this. You can pre-order baby milk and other essentials online for collection at Boots in the departure lounge, if you’d rather not carry it through security. This must be pre-ordered at least 5 days in advance.
- Baby changing facilities – These are available throughout the terminal for you to change nappies or feed your baby. Most are located near to the blocks of toilets.
- What to do with your pushchair after check-in – After check-in tags your pushchair for travel, you may keep it until your departure gate, where the handling agent will take it from you for loading.
If you’re the kind of traveller who likes to turn up at the airport, jump on your flight and go, there are ways to make your experience at the airport as quick and seamless as can be. If you know your time at the airport is going to be tight, nothing screams fast food louder than Burger King or the ‘food-to-go’ options like Costa, Café Nero and Pret a Manger. If you’d rather grab something to eat before you go through security, wrapchic, a new street-food style eatery has recently opened offering healthy, authentic Indian food. To ensure you’re getting real time updates on your flight, take advantage of the FlightSmart service available at the airport. Simply tweet your flight number to @flyBHX on your day of travel to see gate numbers, check-in opening times and live updates about any cancellations or delays.
Why not VIP your experience for the ultimate journey through the airport? Book Valet Parking online to guarantee your spot and ensure a hassle-free start to your trip; take advantage of the Express Lane through security, especially through peak times; relax and unwind in one of the executive lounges; and when you return, use the Premium Fast Track to skip the queues at the UK Border Force checkpoint using a designed lane.
Top tips for speedy travellers
- Express Lane security – To get through security fast, use the Express Lane. You can pre-book online or pay at the entrance.
- Pre-pack your hand luggage liquids – For an even more seamless security experience, organise your liquids into a plastic bag before you get to the airport.
- World Duty Free – If you want to enjoy the offers at World Duty Free, you can shop online before you travel and reserve duty free items to collect in store before departure. You have access to the full range of World Duty Free brands, not just those stocked at Birmingham Airport.
Remember when heading to the airport was all part of the adventure? Spending time at the airport before a flight can be half the holiday fun, so make the most of your time there. Getting to the airport in plenty of time means you can have a lovely meal before you board the flight. With a range of cafes and restaurants available, you’ll be sure to find something to suit your taste and budget – spoil yourself at Bottega, the new prosecco bar offering light bites and a range of drinks, or take a moment to unwind at All Bar One or Factory Bar & Kitchen, with extensive food menus.
Top tips for leisurely travellers
- Book into one of the lounges – Airport lounges are no longer reserved for the hot shots in First Class. For a small fee, book into one of the executive lounges, a quiet sanctuary away from the hustle and bustle of a busy airport. Take advantage of comfortable seating, a fully- tended bar and bistro, complimentary national newspapers, glossy magazines and unlimited WiFi.
- Last minute holiday shopping – You know those bits you kept saying you’d go and grab at lunch time but never got around to? The stores in the departure lounge have your back. Boots has got your sun cream and toiletries, Next has your last-minute swimwear and Dixons Travel will sort you out with plug adapters. Head to Victoria Secret for lingerie, or Superdry for a new hoodie to keep warm on the flight.
- Keep yourself entertained – Wherever you are within the terminal, you can connect to free WiFi for half an hour slots.