This is the perfect treat to curl up with on cold winter days. It’s warm and custardy and oh-so comforting for your tummy – especially if the weather is gloomy outside. A little bowl of this rich pudding will go a long way!
Butter for greasing
6 jam doughnuts, cut in half horizontally to make two circles
200ml whole milk
300ml double cream
1 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
40g caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 170°C fan/gas mark 5. Generously grease a 23cm square dish.
- Lay out the doughnuts with the jam facing up.
- Add the milk, cream, vanilla, sugar and eggs to a jug and give it all a good whisk.
- Pour the mixture over the doughnuts, gently pressing them down so they are submerged.
- Put the dish to one side for 30 minutes, so the doughnuts can soak up the mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, until the centre of the pudding is slightly wobbly.
- Set aside to cool for 10 minutes. Dust with the icing sugar before serving.
I used 6 large doughnuts, but some supermarkets sell smaller ones. If yours are small, you might like to use 8-10 doughnuts instead of 6.
Recipe taken from Nadiya’s Bake Me a Festive Story (illustrations by Clair Rossiter), hardback, OUT NOW, £14.99 from Hodder Children’s Books