The Groovy Food Company is an award-winning British brand committed to sourcing and producing natural foods that taste delicious and nourish the body’s overall health and wellbeing.
The Groovy Food Company has created a variety of innovative and easy to follow recipes that showcase how The Groovy Food Company’s wide selection of alternatives to refined and processed cupboard staples can be incorporated in the kitchen.
This delicious autumnal cake,using coconut sugar gives a rich butterscotch flavour, and with lots of apples inside the sponge it stays really moist.
Serves 12-14 Prep 25 mins Cook 1hr
275g The Groovy Food Company Organic Coconut Sugar
175g The Groovy Food Company Organic Virgin Coconut Oil, firm at room temp
5 dessert apples (about 700g), 3 sliced horizontally and 2 coarsely grated
zest of 1 lemon and juice ½
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 heaped tsp ground cinnamon
50g ground almonds
2 tsp vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3 tbsp milk
ice cream or creme fraiche, to serve
- Heat oven to 180/160 fan/gas4. Grease a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin and line the base.
- Whisk 100g coconut sugar and 2 ½ (2 and a half) tbsp water together in a small frying pan. Set over a very gentle heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves and the caramel just starts to bubble. Remove from the heat and stir in 25g coconut oil. Return to the heat and let it bubble for 15 secs then pour into the prepared tin.
- Remove any pips and stalk from the sliced apple and toss with the lemon juice. Arrange in concentric circles on top of the caramel in the tin – starting with the prettiest slice in the centre.
- Melt 150g coconut oil and cool. Mix 175g coconut sugar, the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ground almonds, lemon zest and ½ tsp salt in a large bowl. Add the vanilla, eggs and milk to the cooled oil and whisk together. Pour the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and whisk briefly to combine. Fold in the grated apple and pour into tin.
- Place on a baking tray and bake for 1hr or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge before turning out onto a wire rack. Leave to cool then serve with ice cream or creme fraiche.
To view the full collection of The Groovy Food Company’s recipes please visit – www.groovyfood.co.uk/recipes